3 cups of white parboiled long- grain rice
2 bay leaves
3 Knorr cubes
1 large red bell pepper
2-3 scotch bonnet peppers
2 tbsps tomato paste
1 m onion
1 m tomato
1 clove garlic
Ginger (about the size of a clove of garlic)
I bag of Shrimp
2 long Sausage
*If you’re cooking more than 3 cups, double the pepper, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and add 1/2 an onion*
1. Halve the red bell pepper, onion and tomato and then cut into quarters. Blend mixture (add the tomato paste). Add 1-2 cups of water to mixture and blend further till liquefied (this will be a watery mix).
2. Heat pot on stove over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup oil of your choice (I used canola). Add blended peppers and seasonings, stir. Slice some onion into mixture (optional). Let boil for 15 minutes on low heat.
3. Add rice, continue to cook on low heat for 35 minutes. It should be be almost cooked at this point, if not let cook until rice is soft enough for you.
4. Heat oven to 325° F. Add Shrimp, Sausage, to Rice. Put pot in oven for another 15 minutes (this makes the Rice fluffy).
5. Remove, let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Before it goes in the oven, it might be somewhat mushy, but not to worry, as soon as it comes out of the oven, it’ll be nice and fluffy.
Also, don’t get flustered if the rice at the bottom of the pot burns, most if not all great tasting jollof rice burns at the bottom just a tad.